I spend a little time each week browsing the author groups on LinkedIn and such. Sometimes, I come across a gem of a conversation. Today, I came across a bunch!
With that in mind, I am pulling some of the best and most creative ideas that I found in today’s author discussions. The topic? Creative and interesting ways to promote a book online. Here are some of the more promising ideas I found….
- Create a Facebook account for your main character.
- Invite readers to review your book right on your blog.
- Interview some of your favorite authors.
- Share a glimpse into your writing process.
(We do that a lot on our author sites with a Behind the Book page or Book Secrets page)
- Conduct a contest of some kind to give away a free book, an autographed book, etc…
- Ask for audience contributions to your next book.
- Tie your book into a charity.
- Share your perspective and updates on author events.
- Tie your book and your blog into current events, upcoming holidays, etc…
- Review other books in a similar genre on your blog … then ask those authors to do the same.
- Allow readers to submit their own reviews on your website.
(We often use the WordPress comments box to allow this)
- Offer glimpses into your book … like one free chapter a week. But make people give you their email address before you let them read a segment.
It’s amazing. Just a quick browse of a few conversations and I got this bunch of amazing ideas. Gotta love the internet…